HOW YOGA IN REHAB HELPS WITH ADDICTION TREATMENTYoga therapy is an integral part of the Cornerstone Healing Center addiction recovery model. Numerous studies have shown the benefits of yoga for a stronger mind-body connection. A recent review of the positive benefits of yoga for drug and alcohol addicts shows:
- Yoga can reduce depression, anxiety and emotional suffering.
- By forcing the mind and body to work together holistically, yoga practices can help alcoholics and addicts maintain sobriety.
- Yoga reduces stress by improving respiratory systems, lowering blood pressure and decreasing heart rate. These effects are also useful in the recovery process.
- Regular yoga practice can reduce the effects of physical pain variables and decrease emotional suffering.
- Consistent yoga practice can reduce cravings associated with addiction.
What Is Yoga for Addiction Treatment?Yoga practice for addiction is similar to what you’d encounter at a gym or studio. Each yoga class at our Scottsdale treatment facility includes:
- A mindful, meditation-infused class taught by certified yoga instructors.
- Safe guidance through a variety of strength-building and relaxing yoga poses that improve posture, muscle conditioning and cardiovascular function.
- Clear instruction and a class that is suitable for all skill levels.
- Deep breathing techniques that improve yoga abilities, and that can be used outside the yoga studio to achieve relaxation and mindfulness.