Weight Training and Addiction Treatment
Exercise is an essential component for successful alcohol and drug addiction treatment. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services states that regular physical activity is one of the most important things people can do to improve their health.
That includes weight training. The department recommends that adults do muscle-strengthening activities of at least moderate intensity for all major muscle groups at least two days a week.
At Cornerstone Healing Center, our program includes daily resistance training for improved physical, mental and emotional health. We work with a highly reputable Certified Fitness Instructor to provide safe resistance training for all skill levels for our clients.
Numerous studies have shown the benefits of weight training for addicts. A study by the National Institutes of Health found the benefits of exercise for clients in drug rehab and alcohol rehab programs include:
- A feeling of achievement
- Improved strength and overall health and physical fitness
- More confidence in remaining sober
A healthy body helps clients during addiction treatment to boost their mental and spiritual health, too. If you or a loved one is seeking long-term recovery from addiction, our weight training program complements the mind-body-spirit mission of our Scottsdale treatment facility.
Benefits of Resistance Training for Addicts
Weight lifting and other types of resistance training do so much more than increase longevity and boost cardiovascular function. Some of the benefits that help in the addiction recovery process include:
- Improved mood: A review of dozens of studies on weight training in The New York Times found weight training can help ease and prevent depression. Addicts who feel helpless or depressed about what they’re going through can use weight training to power through challenges and improve their confidence in recovery.
- Healthy routine: Regular weight lifting provides structure and routine, which can deter addicts from drug or alcohol relapse. Resistance training is a healthy activity that can be a coping mechanism and that can instill a sense of accomplishment.
- Better sleep: Weight training improves sleep by reducing stress and anxiety. It also promotes clear thinking, among other psychological improvements.
By becoming stronger through resistance training, those struggling with addiction gain a sense of control over their circumstances. This is absolutely crucial for long-term recovery.
Our male-only Partial Hospitalization Program gives clients the opportunity to exercise in a supportive and instructive environment. Clients receive thorough training for each exercise, so they can continue to pursue this healthy habit throughout the rest of their lives.
Combined with addiction treatment program features like nutrition therapy, mindfulness based stress reduction (MBSR), 12 Step program community and one-on-one and group therapy, clients at Cornerstone Healing Center get an effective holistic toolkit for recovery now and long-term.
Contact Our Scottsdale Treatment Center
Cornerstone Healing Center stands out among substance abuse treatment centers for our emphasis on the mind-body-spirit connection. Without a healthy physical body, mental obstacles to addiction are more difficult to overcome. Our caring and supportive team provides clients with everything they need for successful recovery.
To get help for addiction for a loved one or for yourself, chat with us online now, or call 1-800-480-1781